Hello my food loving friends. Today I heard on the news that there are certain biological reactions in the brain, that may make us "addicted" to food. Of course, I use the term "addicted" because the news used it. I don't believe in many addictions. I believe that society is addicted to excuses.
And many of these so-called addictions, are excuses. I cannot tell you how many times I have dreamt of eating and eating. I think my family is worse. My parents think and talk about food all the time. It is one of their most favorite things to do. Does that mean their addicted? Well, neither of them are fat. In the news piece, they correlated the "disease" with being overweight.
I do believe that there are addictions that can happen. For whatever reason, unfortunately, I'm sure not all actions can be controlled. Possibly a form of depression can be at fault. These individuals deserved to be helped.
But our society makes it very easy for other people to jump on the band wagon of addiction. I emphatically believe that the majority of "addictions" in this country are excuses. And the band wagon is getting over loaded. The media is saying, "it's ok, it's not your fault." Validation! Isn't that what we all look for?
I have been exposed to many addicting things. I smoked cigarettes for years and drank during college. Am I an alcoholic? Do I smoke now? No. Not because of any treatment, pill, support group or 12 step plan. I don't do them anymore because of choice.
Choice! We all have choices! We just have to learn how to make the right ones for a happy and healthy life and stop makes excuses for our actions.
Squeezing away the excuses. (now what excuse can I use not to get on that treadmill later!)
Peace and love. Until tomorrow...
No comments:
Post a Comment
Squeeze Away!