Thursday, March 24, 2011

Habits

They say that it takes 14 days or abut two weeks to form a habit or a behavior.  Well, I've been successfully blogging for two weeks and have listed each blog by the day's number.  Yesterday was Day 15.  So I have decided that I will discontinue these titles and begin with some original, substancial titles.  Based on this, I should continue writing out of habit.

Habits...we all have them.  Some bad, some good but I'm not sure I believe in the two weeks and you're hooked.  I have been exercising for years and I have to make myself do it every time.  Not effortlessly, as some might believe.  I'm wondering if this blog will be the same way.  It will be interesting to see.

My worst habit is biting my fingers.  It started when I was very little.  As a substitute for sucking my thumb, which my parents would say I did until I was 16; not true.  I then began biting my fingernails.  A nervous habit at first.  Then I decided that I wanted my fingernails, so I moved onto my fingers or more specifically, my cuticles.  It has been many years and I finally decided that my fingers look hideous.  I now can curb this "habit" if I put lotion on my fingernails.  They also look much better. 

I don't think that breaking a habit is as hard as people think or say.  I think it is our self defense mechanism that allows us to make an excuse for the habit.  And if everyone else agrees that it's hard to break a habit, then I can continue the habit with little or no guilt.  I'm validated in my behavior.  I do believe that everyone's will is different, but I was a smoker for many years and one day decided, again because of money and health, to stop.  I didn't have any withdrawal symptoms.  It made me uncomfortable for a while when I was out and people around me were smoking but now, it sort of makes me sick.

So my conclusion is that I have never been able to form a habit by choice.  I have not been able to form a habit of exercise.   And I was able to break a so-called bad "habit" (smoking) with little effort.  I will wait and see before I make judgement of this blog.  Will it become a habit or a chore?  We shall see.

Squeezing out the habits.
Peace and love.  Until tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Squeeze Away!