Thursday, March 17, 2011

Day 9

Well, the sun is shining on us for Saint Patrick's Day!  And spring is definitely sprung.  I see lots of signs as I venture outside.  I was able to open a couple of windows in the house to let in some fresh spring air!

Today was my weigh in day, and for some reason, I didn't lose a single pound.  This week I increased my treadmill time and have definitely felt a different sore for the last two days.  It's a good sore, which made me think that the scale would be in my favor, but no such luck.  My body is a fickle thing.  Does what it wants, when it wants.  I will not give up as I know that health is very important for longevity and I plan to be squeezing the days well into my 90's, maybe even 100's. 

Which brings me to the point of health care.  I find that this is a very delicate subject and that some, if not most, would be upset with what I am going to suggest.  But 50 years ago, I believe, that the generation before would not be able to predict what would happen to many people in our society today.  Because of our sedentary lifestyles, people have become, well lets just face it, FAT.  In turn the amount of health problems that are associated with being overweight are staggering.  This is a major burden on the health care industry in this country.  Many of these conditions associated with fat could be avoided.  Most of these people could live much longer.  In fact, I heard recently that the life expectancy is predicted to reverse for the next generation.  That means that for the first time in our history, our loved ones will live shorter lives than the previous generation. 

My question is that if someone told me that I would gain years of quality living by just taking care of yourself, eating healthier and exercising moderately, what kind of price would you put on that.  Can you say, PRICELESS?

In addition, the health care industry would not be overburdened by these conditions which include diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol and heart disease; just to name a few.  We could easily reduce costs of care and insurance by ourselves and for ourselves.  But this country seems bent on the fact that the government should "take care" of everyone. 
No one is held accountable.  Such a shame.  We could do so much better. 

So, on this very special Irish Holiday I say Erin Go Braugh!  LET'S DO BETTER!

Síocháin agus grá. Go dtí amárach ...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Squeeze Away!