Monday, March 14, 2011

Day 6

Good day to all my penny pinching friends! 

Recently I found out that I am a hypermiler.  That may sound like I have some emotional instability, but it's really a fancy name for someone who drives very conservatively in order to save gas.  I have been doing this now for about 8 years without even knowing that there was a term for it. 

When we originally bought our current SUV, it was the first new car that we every owned.  We purchased it in 2003 and I wanted it to last forever.  So I decided that if I coasted and didn't use my breaks very much and drove very carefully, that it might help.  I also used to have many hills on my way to and from work, so it made sense to take the car out of gear and coast.  I do not recommend this for everyone. In fact I recently started driving my "son's" car which is a small sedan and tried to do the same.  Negative on the "out of gear" thing.  It really didn't work as well.  That car does not appreciate the changes during movement. 

Anyway, the SUV original tires were replaced at 78,000+ miles.  The mechanic at the dealer couldn't believe it.  We do get the tires rotated every oil change but Wow!  Also, we just got the breaks replaced at 109,000 miles.  Can you say "Super Hypermiler"! 

So my point is that driving less agressively, does keep you calmer, and less stressful.
And in this day and age, when we all need it most, it might save you a bunch of bucks over the course of a year.
Squeeze on!
Peace and love, until tomorrow...

I

No comments:

Post a Comment

Squeeze Away!