Today is tax day. The last day that the government says you can file, without a penalty. You can, of course, file an extension, which means that you're not really filing yet, just letting the IRS know that you will file sometime in the future. I'm not sure how long you can extend, or how many extensions you can file.
I file our taxes early, because I know that I will be getting a refund. If I knew that I was going to pay MORE taxes, why would I file before the deadline? I wouldn't. In fact, my question today is this. What would happen if no one filed? What would happen if no one paid their taxes? Why do we allow government to dictate what taxes we pay? When did this country change from a democracy to a something else?
I am aware that the country cannot run without taxes. I understand this fully. But if most people in this country saw some of the things that we as taxpayers were funding, they would be appalled. Ridiculous special interest funding which politicians use for advancing their political careers. It just makes me sick.
What would happen? There is nothing that the government could do if we didn't pay taxes. Wouldn't they be forced to fix government spending? They would only spend money for the most pertinent items needed. Isn't that what we want them to do? REDUCE SPENDING! Seems pretty elementary to me. No one should be able to "ear mark" any spending for any special interests.
Well, I know that this would never happen. There are too many people that just don't care, aren't aware of the problem or just have so much money that they feel it doesn't affect them.
It's too bad, because I think that it would be a great solution. Forcing the government to do what the people want. Hmmmmm, what a clever, novel thought!
Squeezing my wallet tighter.
Peace and love. Until tomorrow...
No comments:
Post a Comment
Squeeze Away!