Thursday, April 21, 2011

Prom Frenzy!

It's is fast approaching prom season and our 11th grade daughter is probably not going to her junior prom.  It is painful for me because I know how important it was for me to go to the prom.  I actually had to ask someone from another school, in order to make sure that I would attend. 

I do not press her on the issue, so as to not draw attention to it.  She says that it does not bother her, and I hope that is true.  I do not like to think of my kids worrying or in pain for any reason.  She is a dark horse that does not show her feeling too easily so I don't push.  Just hope that she is not silently sad.

This morning I saw a news piece on prom dresses.  It was about how some mothers are spending in excess of $3000.00 for their daughter for the prom.  I hope this is not true for the average girl.  That seems excessive to me for a 15-18 year old.  My daughter is very frugal but again, I wish I could buy her the world.
I have to keep reminding myself that I came from a very frugal family and turned out fine.

For now, I have to wait and see about the prom.  I try not to ask too often, but I do know that when I do ask, she doesn't flat out say "no".  So I haven't given up yet.  I hope that she is happy either way. 

My junior prom ended up to me just OK.  My date was a really self absorbed Italian boy who spent most of the evening looking at himself in the mirror.  He didn't open the car door for me, so I stood  outside of the car until he swung it open from the drivers seat.  Real class.  I honestly couldn't wait to get home by the end of the night, which ending up to be early, thank goodness.  Eleven, I think.  I can actually remember feeling embarrassed that I was home so early.  Felt like I had failed having a great prom after such a big build up. 

Oh well, c'est-la-vie...
Squeezing my daughter, cause I love her so much.
Peace and love.  Until tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Squeeze Away!